Non Windows Fonts

Gumbo06 10:50 18 Dec 07

Hi guys, I've used a non windows font on my website to give a digital readout on some text. The site was designed using netobjects fusion 9 and I had hoped that fusion would upload the font required so that other users viewing the website would see the correct font but it doesn't. Does anybody know what code needs adding to the pages to use the font.
Thanks
Phil

gibbs1984 13:22 18 Dec 07

As far as I know you can't, it depends on what fonts the user has installed on their OS...

...waits to be proven wrong.

Eric10 15:13 18 Dec 07

If you have large passages of text in this font then you are on a looser and need to do a rethink as there is no code to upload a font for use by the visitor's browser.
If the font is only used for the occasional word or two then you could create the text as an image using your image editing software or an image capture program and insert it as a picture. This will then be reproduced correctly in any browser.

Gumbo06 15:13 18 Dec 07

After doing some more research on the subject it does appear that it is possible with the use of a tool from Microsoft. click here

This is a link to the article if anybody else is interested. I will try it and see if it works.

Kemistri 15:25 18 Dec 07

You do not need to use WEFT - which has limited compatibility anyway and therefore is a waste of effort and is bad form.

But even if you do it the usual way with CSS embedded fonts, you should not really be doing it at all. Nobody wants files to be automatically downloaded or otherwise forced upon them by a website - they are much more likely to head over to the competition in response to that sort of thing.

I must correct an omission by Eric10: by all means use graphical representations of headings - I use them a lot - but you must provide the plain text in your HTML and hide it by positioning it off-screen. Never hide it with {display:hidden;} because some screen readers look at the CSS and ignore content that is hidden in this way. And always ensure that the graphic is clearly legible, because users will not be able to resize it when they resize the body text.

Gumbo06 15:34 18 Dec 07

It's not really a easy thing to do the text as a graphic as it will be updated everyday, it's only numbers. But then there is another problem that even when using standard windows fonts they won't show up correctly if somebody has stripped out all their unwanted fonts, I have that problem with a whole page that somebody can't read properly.
Users are not likely to move to the competition as it's a school website for parent information.

mco 15:50 18 Dec 07

why is it so essential to use this font?

Gumbo06 15:53 18 Dec 07

It's not essential, if there is no way round it then I'm not going to worry about. But as I pointed out in my last post, if somebody has stripped out system fonts from their pc they won't even be able to see those.

Kemistri 16:01 18 Dec 07

If you have issues with users who have (for some strange reason) removed system fonts, why not just specify a font family? Sans-serif or serif. A lot of devs do that anyway so that browser prefs are always maintained.

Gumbo06 17:02 18 Dec 07

So basically I design a website the way I like it, nobody can look at it because of non system fonts, there is no simple code to insert into the page to tell the browser where to find the fonts. I do love the 21st century!!

And some people do remove system fonts to clear disk space if they only have a small hard drive, and there are still people out there using ten year old machines.

Kemistri 17:14 18 Dec 07

Which is why we work to standards and respect user choice. You should always make multiple font declarations anyway.

{font: 1em Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;}

You're not designing the website for you; it's for your client (if you have one) and the visitors who have to use it. So you don't have to like the font or insist on a particular font.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…