Non-System disk press any key........

O-NO 22:34 05 Oct 05

Whenever I have a my external Harddrive or card reader connected to any of my USB ports my PC gives the non-system disk error and will not boot.

Removing them and PC boots into windows ok....

Anyone have a solution so I can keep my external HD & card reader installed on bootup?

AMD 64 3700
XP HOME

BRYNIT 22:45 05 Oct 05

Check in bios that it is not set to boot from usb device first.

O-NO 22:52 05 Oct 05

Boot sequence-

FLOPPY
HDD
CD

I have my mouse connected to a USB ok.

O-NO 08:29 06 Oct 05

Would the problem most likely be BIOS related?

Seems strange that I only get it on start up and only when the external HD & card reader are connected via USB.

If I fit them via the USB after PC has booted up everything works fine no problem.

Chegs ® 08:50 06 Oct 05

Its not uncommon for USB devices to give problems at boot.I have a USB card reader,I have known occasions where leaving it connected during reinstall has had XP trying to load itself to a 32Mb card(and failing,for some strange reason) ;-)

O-NO 08:57 06 Oct 05

Chegs.......Yes the problem seems to be when I have a 1G card in the reader....removing it appears to correct that........I have no solution to the HD problem though :(

O-NO 09:09 06 Oct 05

It was bios related.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…