Non system disc

Pidder 18:36 18 Jun 03

If I accidentally leave a floppy in on shut down, on the next bootup I get a message "non system disc (or something like that), remove it and press any key". If the P.C. knows there is a disc which shouldn't be there why doesn't it ignore it? Just curious.

Rayuk 18:39 18 Jun 03

Just reminding you to be a bit more careful in future.

Jester2K II 18:41 18 Jun 03

Because your BIOS is set up to read the A Drive before the C Drive in case you are using a Boot Floppy.

It basically telling that if you are trying to use a Boot Floppy then its not working...

Pauper 18:41 18 Jun 03

It scans the floppy drive for a 'boot disk' and informs you that the one which is in there is not such a disk, this occurs when the bios is set to scan the 'A' drive first in the boot sequence

Pauper 18:42 18 Jun 03

ahhh bless.........twins

Valvegrid 18:47 18 Jun 03

Computers are pretty stupid things really, it looks at the a drive as part of the boot process if it sees a disk it thinks it's a system disk and gets confused when things don't look right, that's where the human being intervines to correct it's stupid ways.

Paul.

Pidder 18:49 18 Jun 03

Thanks all. Haven't had to use a boot disc - yet. Finger crossed.

Pidder 18:53 18 Jun 03

Valvegrid - incidently have CWGET but not got it working well yet. What frequencies would be best to try for starters, and times? Thanks. 73s

dave h 19:00 18 Jun 03

Valvegrid said - "Computers are pretty stupid things really....."
This reminded me of the warning which should be put on every computer - "I will do EXACTLY what I'm told to do!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…