Non system disc

Pidder 18:36 18 Jun 03

If I accidentally leave a floppy in on shut down, on the next bootup I get a message "non system disc (or something like that), remove it and press any key". If the P.C. knows there is a disc which shouldn't be there why doesn't it ignore it? Just curious.

Rayuk 18:39 18 Jun 03

Just reminding you to be a bit more careful in future.

Jester2K II 18:41 18 Jun 03

Because your BIOS is set up to read the A Drive before the C Drive in case you are using a Boot Floppy.

It basically telling that if you are trying to use a Boot Floppy then its not working...

Pauper 18:41 18 Jun 03

It scans the floppy drive for a 'boot disk' and informs you that the one which is in there is not such a disk, this occurs when the bios is set to scan the 'A' drive first in the boot sequence

Pauper 18:42 18 Jun 03

ahhh bless.........twins

Valvegrid 18:47 18 Jun 03

Computers are pretty stupid things really, it looks at the a drive as part of the boot process if it sees a disk it thinks it's a system disk and gets confused when things don't look right, that's where the human being intervines to correct it's stupid ways.

Paul.

Pidder 18:49 18 Jun 03

Thanks all. Haven't had to use a boot disc - yet. Finger crossed.

Pidder 18:53 18 Jun 03

Valvegrid - incidently have CWGET but not got it working well yet. What frequencies would be best to try for starters, and times? Thanks. 73s

dave h 19:00 18 Jun 03

Valvegrid said - "Computers are pretty stupid things really....."
This reminded me of the warning which should be put on every computer - "I will do EXACTLY what I'm told to do!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017