non response/freezing

norming 19:45 26 Nov 03

Does anyone know the answer to a freezing problem? I feel I’m well equipped to do what I am trying to - that is video editing (Pinnacle Studio 8).I run XP with 512Mb mem.,
40Gb h/drive(7200) at least half of which is empty and defragged.
When I open a short sequence of say 4 minutes, I have no problem but when I try and open a build ‘movie’(one of three) of 15 mins it freezes every time. Although the finger points to the video software - and I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled that several times - I find that my w/p program also freezes quite often when I try and open it. Once open I have no further problem.
Norming

A_World_Maker 20:02 26 Nov 03

Isn't there a file size limitation on a NTFS hard disc of 4gb?

A_World_Maker 20:03 26 Nov 03

ooppss... cont.... for a movie file?

A_World_Maker 19:13 27 Nov 03

Thanks for your email... I am almost sure there is a movie file limitation of 4gb... when using movie creation software in XP.
There was a thread on this forum about this, but I have lost it, perhaps someone else can enlighten??????

PA28 23:04 27 Nov 03

A 15 minute movie is unlikely to run to 4GB, if that limit exists - I rather hope it doesn't as I converted from FAT32 to NTFS precisely to avoid such file size limitations. I have had similar problems in rendering in Pinnacle 8 (and so have others according to the Video mags), but have resolved matters by (1) installing XP clean, (2) having a dedicated second drive for video editing and (3) upgrading to 8.10 (I think) via the Pinnacle website. Now all works fine. I believe others that have had problems have overcome them by rendering an .avi file in Pinnacle and then writing to DVD via Nero or similar - this seemed such a long way around that I tried the above first.

Don't forget that rendering/writing a movie, is just about the most tortuous task you can ask of your PC. It might help to shut down all the clutter running in the background, and anything else you can think of to reduce the load. If the rendering fails at a particular point in the movie each time, try deleting the scene at which it is failing and see if it's actually the files that it's working with that are causing the problem - if it is, it will run beyond that point before completing (or failing somewhere else!!!).

llbgeezer 23:28 27 Nov 03

i must say that the 4gb blew me out of my chair... even if a gigabyte movie was work in progress it would make sense to save clips of shorter interval for editing purposes... the only other alternative is to edit and save at a lower resolution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…