non recognition of DVD's in Drive

novis 20:59 14 Mar 07

I have a Sony Vaio and run MS Windows XP Home Edition.

This Sony model has both a CD and a DVD burner / drive but when I insert a blank DVD into either drive to burn files My Computer informs (Properties) that the disk is full.

Although I can burn files to a CD I am not able to copy files onto a DVD.

Windows Media Player informs me that there is no disk in either drive when there is a DVD disk in the drives.

When I Select the drive in Explorer I am asked to insert a disk into the drive.

Help, please. In simplified terms suitable to a novice.

Iron Maiden 21:11 14 Mar 07

I'm not 100 %sure as I have never used it, but I don't think Xp has any built in ability to burn Dvd's
you will need to get some software to do it
I recommend Nero

moorie- 21:18 14 Mar 07

have you got a combo drive?

novis 10:09 15 Mar 07

The Sony Vaio has two drives - a CD drive and a DVD drive/burner which permits one to copy one CD from another.

novis 11:05 15 Mar 07

Nero 6 results in the following error message when I try to write to Sony DVD RW DW-U12A:

Cannot connect TRE

then:

-5 unknown error

My device will accept either + or - formats.

novis 11:19 15 Mar 07

The recordable DVD disks I'm trying to burn to are 4x whereas my system burns at 12x - could this be a / the problem?

moorie- 11:38 15 Mar 07

heres a previous thread on dvds not being recognised
it may of some assistance
click here

jack 12:01 15 Mar 07

The XP Burn routine does not accept DVD's
A yhird party'burner' must be used for this.
The best for this is CDBurner XP Pro and it is free
just Google for it

Iron Maiden 19:41 15 Mar 07

I've got a Sony DVD RW DW-U14A & never had any problems with Nero 6. XP defiantly doesn't know what to do with a Blank DVD. Have you got the latest version of Nero 6. the last update was V 6.6.1.4.
each update has added more support for different DVD drives. Or it could be something unique to Home edition I'm on Pro, Or a duff drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…