Non PC Question - Storage Heaters

Graphicool1 17:56 25 Oct 14

Hi Guys, bit cheeky this...

We have 5 night storage heaters, they were already installed when we bought the property. At that time we were on 'Economy 7', but have since changed to the normal rate. We have also installed solar panels.

We are aware that you can buy day storage heaters. However, my question is can the existing night storage heaters be used for day storage? I can't see why they shouldn't or couldn't be. So can anyone either give me a difinative answer or point me to a web page that can.

wee eddie 18:37 25 Oct 14

The whole point of Night Storage Heaters is to take advantage of the discount rate between Midnight and 6am. They make no sense if you are charging them at the full Tariff.

Graphicool1 18:52 25 Oct 14

Hi wee eddie

As I have said above we have fitted solar panels, 16 to be precise. The sun doesn't even need to be visible for them to generate electricity.

We found that so called 'economy' 7 to be too expensive. We have cavity wall insulation and the only places that need heating is the lounge and hall and then really only in the evening (this time of the year). No-one is in during the day and when we had the night storage heating working, the heat had run out by the evening.

We have been looking at a German firm, who make 'Day Storage Heaters', that take advantage of solar panels. But my thinking is why should we rip out the existing heaters and pay a premium for the new ones, if we could just change them?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:45 25 Oct 14

Some storage heaters have a ‘boost’ setting ‘peak-rate’ electricity directly from the mains.

If not then they are wied to the ECo7 meter and will only come on when that meter moves into the right time zone.

Any competent electrician should beable to disconnect from the ECO7 meter and wire drirect to the standard mains.

Possibly use a time switch to control how long they are "on load" direct at the wall socket.

bumpkin 20:30 25 Oct 14

We are aware that you can buy day storage heaters. However, my question is can the existing night storage heaters be used for day storage?

They are storage heaters, how do they know what the time is.

bumpkin 20:38 25 Oct 14

They heat when supplied with electricity whatever time. Best to charge them at cheap rate times.

Graphicool1 13:55 26 Oct 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Although ours are still hard wired into ECO7, now that we've gone to normal rate we are no longer using them. The reason being that they are still connected to the ECO7 meter, for night time use. But they our electricity providers (the co-op) have not physically disconnected them, but instead have turned the ECO7 off at source.

We were intending to get the electrician to change the wiring to 3 pin wall sockets, so we could use other heaters. But then I thought if a night storage heater and a day storage heater are just storage heaters, why not have them wired as plug in heaters.

My reason for asking the opinion of PCA peeps was because I'd already done an extensive Internet search and come up with nothing. The results I am getting here seems to be in keeping with my thoughts on this matter. This being the case my next port of call will be my electrician.

bumpkin

"Best to charge them at cheap rate times."

When the solar panels are showing the go light, this is our cheap rate or free rate.

ßeta

The maximum solar power output that a domestic dwelling can have is 4kw, this is what we have. Of the 5 storage heaters we have, all things being equal we only intend to keep 3. 2 for the hall, as it is a long hall with a dog leg and 1 (small one)for the dining room.

spuds 14:17 26 Oct 14

Quite a number of council's have departments nowadays for advising the public about heating, environmental issues and efficiency costs saving. Perhaps a telephone call there might bring a few answers, or they might be able to suggest somewhere to go for an answer?.

Personally I cannot see no reason other than cost, for using night storage type heaters on a low tarriff rating during the day. This would depend though, on the supplier and any package deals they have. E.ON who I use seem to have a fixed rate up to a certain amount of juice you use, and after that the rate becomes cheaper.

Graphicool1 14:32 27 Oct 14

spuds

"Personally I cannot see no reason other than cost, for using night storage type heaters on a low tariff rating during the day."

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a low tariff rating during the day. Unless you are talking about using solar panels and in their case this would only apply if it was a bright day. But being as I work from home I am in a good position to be able to manually adjust the storage setting accordingly, ie switch the storage unit on or off as needed.

ßeta

Thanks for the link, but it's two years old. That was when we first looked into having solar panels installed 2012 and as it says...

"Installation costs are very high - typically around 15K GBP; so the government incentive schemes involving feed-in tariffs etc. don't really stack up at the moment. Maybe when/ if the technology gets better and the installation prices come down - it might be more attractive."

Being asked at that time for around £15k was too steep for us. Now however things have changed and prices have come down. So we were able to get 16 of the latest technology panels (micro-inverters) for £7k. We have 2 arrays, one on each of two roofs.

"If you completely covered the south-facing roof slope of a typical terraced house with solar pv panels, you could probably get just over 2 kilowatts on, or about 1500 - 1600 kilowatt-hours per year. This is about half of the electricity used by a typical household."

Well, for a start we are a two bed bungalow and not a typical household. Meaning, we are two adults and no children. For the 6 months beginning April 1st till the end of September, our panels produced 2,631kwh (kilowatt-hours). Whereby 1 kilowatt-hour is equivalent to 1,000wh (watt-hours). We realise that we'll probably produce less in the winter, but we are prepared for it balance out. However, the sun only has to shine, against popular belief it doesn't have to be hot to produce electricity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac