Non functioning Sony Vaio Desktop

MIKE. 15:25 05 Sep 06

I was asked by a friend of mine to try and get his Sony Vaio desktop to function. When I boot his machine it starts to boot up,I get one beep from the BIOS, it comes up with the Sony logo it goes to the windows Logo sreen and then reboots. I have checked to ensure the harddrive is spining which it is. I have tried last known good still the same, Sony logo, windows logo then reboots. My view is maybe windows or registry has somehow got corrupted. He does not have the recovery CD's to go to factory settings. My questions does this appear to be a windows software fault,if so how do I go about creating a recovery set, when I am unable to access his PC. Would it be simpler to buy a new windows disk and do a full restore help plese!!!!

MIKE. 16:12 05 Sep 06

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 05 Sep 06

windows logo then reboots

corrupt windows driver you need to do a repair from a CD

Beg steal or borrow a windows CD or download a set of boot disks from click here
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your
system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

or download a set of 6 XP boot disks from click here

MIKE. 16:59 05 Sep 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\ you have been a great help. I have my own Windows CD so that should be ok. I got as far as going to the recovery console but got a bit lost. I will go back later tomorrow to see if I can breath life inti his machine thanks again.

MIKE. 17:25 05 Sep 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\ a add on question to the information you gave my windows disc is XP proffesional my freinds is XP home will this cause a problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 05 Sep 06

yes you cannot repair a home with a pro disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 05 Sep 06

reboot
Press f8
choose safe mode with command prompt

type windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

wait untill a system restore window appears with a Welcome note. Then follow the onscreen message and click the appropriate button.

If you can't get into safe mode with command prompt try booting from your CD to recovery consul and type the above.

MIKE. 21:15 05 Sep 06

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ but I can't get into windows not even safe mode.

VoG II 21:17 05 Sep 06

Try from recovery console click here

MIKE. 07:44 06 Sep 06

Thanks VoG™ I will follow Fruit Bat /\0/\ option first and see how I go then it may be recovery console next many thanks for all your help

MIKE. 18:16 08 Sep 06

Just a thank you to Fruit Bat /\0/\ & VoG™ for their help on my problem it worked a treat. I think our helpers do not always get the merit they deserve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced