Non-existent 'Safely Remove Hardware Icon'

Seadog 15:24 08 May 09

On an old pc I have made up from bits I use to play around with, the notification icon for 'safely removing hardware' has totally disappeared from the taskbar.

There is a wireless adapter permanently plugged into this pc so the icon should be there.

If I plug a flash drive or similar in it is recognised in windows explorer and I can drag and drop files etc all ok. However, the 'safely remove hardware' icon does not appear at this time which means that I have to just pull the usb device out when finishing as I cannot click on the icon first.

I have re-booted several times and also done a 'sfc /scannow' but to no avail. Maybe a system restore?

Anyone any ideas as to how to get it back please?

Clapton is God 15:28 08 May 09

Why are you worried about the existence of this icon?

It's not critical or even necessary.

It's disappearance won't prevent you from using or removing USB devices - essentially you can plug them in and unplug them at will (as long as there's no data being written to them when unplugging).

Forget about it.

chrisod 15:29 08 May 09

try this link might be of use

click here

chrisod 15:34 08 May 09

this might be of more use

click here

Marko797 15:34 08 May 09

'It's not critical or even necessary'.

Some might disagree, and I would be one of them. Unplugging can cause data corruption as has happened to me with a pen drive, and also an external HDD. I ended up having to re-do all the work on the pen drive, & replace the HDD.

Marko797 15:40 08 May 09

click here

u can create a shortcut on the desktop, and assign an icon to it. That way when ever u need to disconnect, use the desktop icon which u've created.

provider 2 16:21 08 May 09

... or this from Ask Leo: click here

Seadog 18:11 08 May 09

Thanks very much guys. I'll work on this.

skidzy 20:02 08 May 09

Also see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5