Non-existent CDROM drive on Control Panel etc

Old Bob 21:59 22 Jan 04

I renewed my CDROM drive (Drive D), following all instructions carefully. Windows ME recognised the new drive, but named it Drive E, leaving the removed drive on the list.
This is more than a nuisance because some of my application data disks don't function because the applications keep looking at the old drive for the data.
How do I clear the non-existent drive from Explorer and Control Panel?

usjeff 22:04 22 Jan 04

high light the drive in settings>control panel> device list and click remove tab and restart unit should see you right.

Old Bob 22:40 22 Jan 04

Old Bob says 'Sorry, I didn't mean 'Control Panel' I should have said 'Explorer'.
The removed drive does not appear in Device Manager, yet is shown as Drive D in both Explorer and My Computer

MidgetMan 08:39 23 Jan 04

Is it a virtual drive?? I believe that nero can set this up. try right clicking on it and look at properties.

Also right click on drive e, properties and see if there is the option to set the drive letter in there if there is then set both options to d.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…