Non Booting PC

Confab 10:52 24 Aug 05

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried to turn my PC on and nothing happened. I’ve taken the cover off and noticed that when I press the on switch at the front, the fan in the P.S.U. and the fan in front the processor spin for less than a second and then stop. There are no warning beeps and no lights. I have taken out the graphics card and reseated it and taken out the ram and tried both ram cards individually but the result is still the same, the fans spin for less than a second and then stop.

I’m now guessing that it might be a faulty P.S.U. or faulty switch on the PC but I’m not sure.

Anyone got any other ideas as to what the problem might be?

Regards

Confab

woodchip 11:04 24 Aug 05

Yes replace the PSU

freaky 11:42 24 Aug 05

Had a similar problem recently, only happens from a cold start in the mornings. I found that if I switch off the mains power....wait 15 secs, then switch the mains power back on, then it starts OK.

My diagnosis was the same as woodchip stated, and I am fitting a new PSU. The original PSU was 300W, I am replacing with a 350W.

PCW sell OEM PSU's reasonably cheaply, so I bought one from them for £32.99 ...Jeantech ATX350W, this model also incorporates Auto Smart Fan Control i.e. the PSU Fan varies in speed dependent on the load.

Confab 11:52 24 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies. I'll buy a new PSU and try that first.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is just a faulty PSU as Mrs Confab already thinks I'm spending too much money on the computer!!

Confab

freaky 12:13 24 Aug 05

Make sure that you buy the correct type of PSU for your MOB...some require 20 pin connector, some require 24 pin. The PSU I recommended in my post above came supplied with a 20+4 power connector i.e suitable for either.

woodchip 12:26 24 Aug 05

If you buy the 24 pin make sure it as the 20 pin adapter with it

Confab 12:50 24 Aug 05

Thanks

I'll make a note of the number of pins.

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…