Non admin users in XP get 9 error messages

oursoulsdad 21:34 31 Aug 05

Windows XP SP2
2 admin and 4 other users on this PC
Other users get two types of error messages during logon:
1) You don't have full register permission for Profiler
2) Lots of small, simple, "Error" windows. 9 in all.

They can do all they need to but closing these messages is a pain. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 01 Sep 05

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

oursoulsdad 22:17 01 Sep 05

Thanks Fruitbat. A couple of questions:
1) I ran sfc /scannow. I had XP CD in but it kept asking me to insert XP CD. I just hit retry and it continued. I assume something was interfering with disk control when it tried.
2) I assume I need to install SP2 now to replace XP (SP1) files or did sfc replace with SP2 files?

oursoulsdad 22:20 01 Sep 05

OK Fruitbat - I am now reading the link and it answers some of my questions. Thanks again.

oursoulsdad 22:28 01 Sep 05

Ah - the link doesn't answer question (2). Anyone know? After running sfc /scannow, do I have to reinstall SP2?

BigMoFoT 23:02 01 Sep 05

because there are programs/services installed that require admin priveleges to run?

oursoulsdad 20:31 02 Sep 05

Maybe - but I wish it would tell me. The message simply says "error" BigMoFoT and nothing else. I have no idea how to find out what is causing it.
The sfc didn't cure it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:54 02 Sep 05

Sp2 will have replaced some files on the hard drive running sfc does not overwrite SP2 files as it will recover these as required from the i386 folder cache.

Maybe its a Java problem try loading the lastest from click here

oursoulsdad 23:56 02 Sep 05

Followed link Fruit Bat and let site check my version. I have version 4 which seems to be the latest on their site.

Thanks for gen on files notbeing overwritten.

Assuming this relates to permissions, I just wonder if there are programmes that are for the administrator only but where something is wrong in the registry. Clutching at straws here.

oursoulsdad 22:26 05 Sep 05

Great. Apart from a remaining Profiler priviliges message, this is now cured. I tracked the errors on event viewer to Logitech. Logitech had an updated program for their webcam Pro 4000 and the 9 error messages have gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…