Noisy startup

TBOM 09:08 27 Oct 06

Hello,
When I turn on my desktop PC it nearly always makes a regular noise like a cross between a bee on a treadmill and an axe being ground.

If this noise gets slower and slower, the PC shuts down altogether. This can happen up to three times in a row. Sometimes the noise just disappears and the the PC can run fine for over 48 hours.

Faulty fan? Hard drive? Any suggestions?
Thank you....

€dstowe 09:12 27 Oct 06

Take the side off your machine, make yourself a makeshift "stethoscope" from rolled-up paper in the form of a tube and switch the computer on. You should be able to identify where the sound is coming from.

Whatever it is that is causing the noise, it should be investigated and remedied as soon as you can.

namtas 09:18 27 Oct 06

Sounds like it may be a cooling fan, when the noise stops the fan has stopped, it then overheats and shuts down on temperature control.

Field Division 09:19 27 Oct 06

Sounds like a fan to me,check cpu fan and the case fan,these can be replaced very easy for the cost of only a few pounds...

TBOM 09:54 27 Oct 06

Ok, will investigate and report back later, thank you....

billypilgrim 10:39 27 Oct 06

As a precaution, make sure you back-up all your important information, as that sounds to me like a failing Hard Drive.

Field Division 11:59 27 Oct 06

Mind check if you have a fan on your video card also

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5