noisy start.

geedad 10:26 02 May 09

Windows Xp Sp2, 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 with HT.
ATI radeon 9200.
HDD 160 GB (7,200 rpm)

PC 5 years old.
I am experiencing an ever so slightly whirring noise when starting the PC.
The noise is very much like a distant lawnmower running ( but very low), and gradually diminishes until I can hear it no longer.
My own thoughts are that it could be the HDD, but I have checked this with "Active Hard Drive" disk monitor and it reports 55% (something), and concludes that the drive is OK.
Can it be the fan?
I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has experienced the same problem, and if it is the fan, is this an easy DIY job?
geedad

OTT_Buzzard 10:38 02 May 09

Best guess is that it's the CPU fan or a case fan. If it was the hard drive i'd expect that you'd hear it from time to time when the PC is running.

If you, open up the PC case and switch it on (be careful!). You should be able to feel a vibration relating to the noise if it's the CPU fan.

Changing the fan is a DIY job if you are careful. If unsure then it shouldn't cost much to sort out at your local independant service center (iro £20).

Diemmess 10:46 02 May 09

It might be that the CPU fan is not failing, but rather less quiet than when sparkling new.

If it is anything like mine, it starts at full-chat and as Windows loads and the thermostat becomes effective, everything quietens down.

Perhaps more to worry about if the fan had to speed up...... to combat overheating during normal use!

geedad 11:10 02 May 09

OTT_Buzzard
Diemmess
Thank you both. You have allayed my fears that it might be the HDD, but now I can breathe a sigh of relief!
Will try the self-fix way when I buck up enough courage!
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…