Noisy ( revving ) PC

manufan1950 20:37 17 Dec 06

When I play certain games like football manager My pc is fine , nice and silent . But when i play something like Tiger Woods or Call of Duty my Pc starts revving like a motor bike really noisy . Can it be the prossessor coping with extra work to do ????
Specs are Athlon 3200 +
windows xp home
1024 ram
7600 gt card
Its only a year old and puts me off playing decent games as the noise is deafening anyone help??

VoG II 20:50 17 Dec 06

Probably a cooling fan cutting in if the games are CPU-intensive. Take the side off the case and use a sheet of A4 paper rolled into an ear-trumpet shape to identify which one.

Safety notice: take care not to perforate your eardrum.

skidzy 20:53 17 Dec 06

As per VoG™ or maybe if a bearing fan...its on its way out.
Check the fans are clear of dust etc.

Simsy 20:54 17 Dec 06

the disc in the CD/DVD drive? If you do it's possibly this spinning up.

You ask; "Can it be the prossessor coping with extra work to do?" the answer is no... the processor doesn't make any noise.

It's either;

The CD/DVD drive,

The Hard Drive, if the game needs to access info there,

If the processor is working hard, it could be getting hotter and a fan spinning faster to try and cool it down,

And the same applies to the graphics card; it could be a fan wworking harder.

There may be other causes I can't think of as well.

My guess is that it isn't the Hard Drive, as you'd probably have the nosie at other times.

I'm not sure how to eliminate the other casues however. Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…