Noisy PSU

Danny Barnard 18:21 23 Jul 09

Hi all I recently built my desktop computer, and all has gone well. I'm using a 600W power supply silent master pro. It has been getting worst lately but a faint buzzing electrical noise erradates from my PSU aparently it is a quiet common problem. According to a power calculator I should only need 450 W so it's not a underpower issue. One thing I did notice is on speed fan it quotes voltage ratings and my -5Volt rail is at -2.84 V and my -12V is at -11.04 and my 5V rail is at 4.76V. I'm worried about my -5V rail as I don't know much about the ratings rails should be but that seems very low. Should I RMA it or is there something I can do?

Danny Barnard 18:22 23 Jul 09

Sry its a coolermaster psu

I am Spartacus 18:26 23 Jul 09

I believe that the voltage tolerances are 5%. However I wouldn't just rely on Speedfan for accurate readings. You can get a PSU tester which will show the volts but they're around £20.

Sometimes graphics cards make a whining noise when under load, nVidia in particular.

I am Spartacus 18:29 23 Jul 09

Forgot the link click here they've gone up a bit in price.

Danny Barnard 18:33 23 Jul 09

They look cool I'll think I'll get one. I'm certain its the PSU. Is -2.84 volts bad? I'm pretty sure thats not good! So the PSU tester just takes in a 4 pin molex connector? And can read all the voltages? Does it measure current too?
Thx Spartacus reliable as always.

Danny Barnard 18:34 23 Jul 09

Just read it takes all types of connections neat!

I am Spartacus 18:39 23 Jul 09

I didn't think there was a -5V rail. Also I didn't think that the -12V rail was used but I can't find any evidence of that at the moment. However Custom PC did a review of PSUs recently and they quote a reading for -12V so maybe it is used for something.

I am Spartacus 18:43 23 Jul 09

It tests 20/24 Pin connectors, 4, 6 or 8 Pin CPU connectors, Molex, Floppy and SATA connectors. Note that when testing the 20/24 Pin connector the CPU connector also has to be inserted otherwise you get an error (it doesn't mention that in the instructions).

citadel 21:24 23 Jul 09

if its a silent power pro m600 it scored 64% for stability and 61% overall "let down by its very weak 5v rail" in custom pc mag recent psu megatest. be quiet dark power pro 650w was the recommended mid range unit.

woodchip 22:13 23 Jul 09

don't think any of the - rails are used

woodchip 22:14 23 Jul 09

PS only thing you can do if its noisy is fit a different one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos