Noisy motherboard

Violet44 06:40 23 Jun 06

My computer makes a terrible buzzing noise all the time it is switched on. My son has put a new power drive in just in case it was this that was causing it, but it is no better, and it is quite annoying. Now he thinks it is a small black item behind the power drive that looks like a small whirly thing that is causing it. Please excuse my way of describing things, but I am too old to remember all the names of items in my computer. Hope you can help me.
Violet Smith

Diodorus Siculus 07:52 23 Jun 06

It's possbly a fan on the motherboard. Does it look like a fan? Perhaps like this:

click here

Belatucadrus 11:50 23 Jun 06

If you have a fan on your motherboard, it's probably the Northbridge chipset cooling fan. If there's enough room this can be replaced with a Zalman silent passive cooler click here Not only silent, they don't wear out.

Totally-braindead 13:17 23 Jun 06

My last motherboard went through 3 Northbridge fans in about 2 years, the noise was very irritating. I went with Belatucadrus's suggestion, fitted a Zalman passive heatsink and its fine 3 years on. My new PC according to others has a tendency to have a noisy fan as well, if it goes I'll change it to a passive one as well. I can only assume a lot of manufacturers use cheap Northbridge fans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…