Noisy HD

john bunyan 23:18 09 Nov 10

I have a 320 Gig Primary HD in my desktop - about 3 1/2 to 4 years old but all ok on W7 Ult 64 bit.
The HD seems to be working but has become vey noisy. A continuous whine is noticable. I have an internal caddy mounted slave, and am in the process of doing virus and malware scans prior to an ATI clone. Is there a way of checking the primary to see what the whine is. Assuming it is failing, can I just replace it and do a reverse clone? I have also backed up data to an external HD.

rdave13 23:48 09 Nov 10

I would certainly replace a 'whining' hdd as soon as possible just in case.
All my caddied hard drives are external and I use Paragon software to clone. Once the internal hard drive is cloned then I just swap them and I'm up and running. Sometimes I have to start system restore, though, on the replaced drive for some reason.

john bunyan 13:05 13 Nov 10

I have now replaced the primary drive, but now I find that the whine is from poor bearings on the Chipset cooling fan, built in to the motherboard. A pain but a good repair guy I know has offered to change it - involves taking out motherboard, silver paste etc etc. £40 - seems ok? My motherboard is 4 years old but whole system works well on 64 bit W7, so would like to keep it going until SSD drives get cheaper etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac