Noisy Harddrive - Anti Virus Software

Chooper 13:01 28 Oct 06

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me. I have a new computer and when on the internet it appears to be noisy and continually accessing the harddrive. I have Norton Internet Securtiy 2007 installed and wondering if it is anything to do with this or something more serious.

On that note is Norton internet security sufficient protection for my PC or would people recommend any other security, particularly towards spyware if norton not good enough.

I have read on previous threads that yahoo toolbar is quite good for spyware and I have downloaded it but not getting the spyware options as did previously only getting a symntec symbol in the place the run spyware icon should be. I hope this makes sense.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

sean-278262 14:19 28 Oct 06

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me. I have a new computer and when on the internet it appears to be noisy and continually accessing the harddrive. I have Norton Internet Securtiy 2007 installed and wondering if it is anything to do with this or something more serious.

- Is the noise new or has it been happening a while? It could be this computer has a louder drive than your old one did. Are you sure the hard drive is the item at fault? It could be a CD in a drive or even a fan.

On that note is Norton internet security sufficient protection for my PC or would people recommend any other security, particularly towards spyware if norton not good enough.

- Yes it is enough however it isnt brilliant as it is a resource hog. A friend had it on his computer and it kicked him off his wireless connection all the time. Personally I tend to use AVG free, spybot search and destroy, spyware blaster, ad aware and zone alarm. I have had no virus problems or any other problems for that matter. All are free just google to find a download source.

I have read on previous threads that yahoo toolbar is quite good for spyware and I have downloaded it but not getting the spyware options as did previously only getting a symntec symbol in the place the run spyware icon should be. I hope this makes sense.

- Personally I tend to use alternative internet browsers such as firefox click here or opera click here which are less prone to allowing nasties in. I dislike toolbars mainly as they get in the way of viewing websites and what not. As for the reason the norton symbol is there it basically stems down to the fact that that is what norton does.

I hope that helps to clarify things a little. In your position I would personally ditch norton and take the free and less resource hungry options that I currently employ. Was a long term norton fan and find that my computer is much faster and loads quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5