Noisy graphics card

SAH 22:28 22 Oct 08

Hello,

I bought my PC about 4 years ago and just recently it has become very noisy, I've discovered that the problem lies with the fan on the graphics card which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti 4600. I did clean the fan on the card but with no real improvement, so I tried to replace it and although it was a lot quieter, my PC unfortunately rejected it and I now understand that it will be very difficult to purchase a replacement card as they are no longer manufactured.

Can anyone help me please?

Technotiger 22:36 22 Oct 08
  Technotiger 22:48 22 Oct 08

Another one on eBay - even cheaper, and still available. click here

SAH 22:59 22 Oct 08

thanks for the links Technotiger, but the only problem with e-bay is the cards are used so it's quite likely I'd have the same problem...

woodchip 23:06 22 Oct 08

You do not deed to use the exact same card, If its a AGP card you can buy one from click here

son-of-a-gun 23:12 22 Oct 08

I've taken the fan off an ATI card, soaked it with 3 in one oil, left it over night to drain any excess, after refitting, it worked fine.

SAH 23:14 22 Oct 08

Excuse my ignorance woodchip, but how do I tell if it is an AGP card?

woodchip 23:17 22 Oct 08

This is a AGP card look at the Connector at the bottom of the card. Is it the same?click here

SAH 23:20 22 Oct 08

It looks the same - so is there a similar spec graphics card I could buy that my old PC would not reject, as I bought my computer in 2002 so I'm worried that the card will be too advanced for my computer...

woodchip 23:33 22 Oct 08

One from hear, You need to get one with at least 256Mb ram. Just up to you what you want or do on the computer. Click on the Reviews and check star ratings

woodchip 23:38 22 Oct 08

Take care about power requirements as some card need a extra Power Feed Wire. I do not know what your setup is. Like does it have extra wires connected to the card that plug into Motherboard socket? If it does, then You are best buying one of those. If yours does not have a Plug for extra Power for Graphics, then buying one with the plug will not work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5