Noisy Graphics card

jaritch 20:33 24 May 06

Bought an Nvidea gforce 6200 from PC World in December. The other day the fan started making a rather loud annoying noise which is constant. Approached PCWorld who say that because the fanis actually turning and doing the job of cooling the graphics card then they will not exchange it.

Is this really the case or is he talking rubbish?

I have tried taking the card out, blowing away any dust build up. made no difference.

Any other suggestions would be helpful

Totally-braindead 20:39 24 May 06

Take the card out and give it a good brush with a clean new paint brush and see if that helps.
I'm afraid I would be taking it back and getting a replacement. He is right in that the fan is still working and therefore is still cooling the card, but if its noisy then the fan could fail at any time and if it does it will probably damage the graphics card.

woodchip 20:43 24 May 06

Noise is a result of cheap Fan, out of balance blades

woodchip 20:44 24 May 06

PS it's a vibration problem

woodchip 20:49 24 May 06

Something you could try but with it being such a small fan. It may not work. Put a speck of paint on the blade at the bottom, I do mean SPECK. Each time you switch of the comp check where the paint is, You need to do this more than once, if it's at the bottom you could use a one mill drill bit to drill a hole in the blade then do some more checking

woodchip 20:52 24 May 06

And if you do put a hole in it, it will have more effect if it's near the end of the blade, nearer to the centre will not have quite as much effect. You are when doing this taking weight of that blade

GaT7 21:16 24 May 06

A tutorial to clean your fan/reduce noise click here - see page 8 onwards.

If all else fails, you could buy a replacement fan - but it may be expensive. G

Belatucadrus 00:49 25 May 06

click here for another somewhat more expensive option.

Totally-braindead 01:02 25 May 06

woodchips idea does have some merit but this would definately invalidate the warranty, especially the drilling holes idea, if it was over a year old then fair enough but you stated you only bought it in December.
Therefore I personally would remove it and return it to PCW being polite but firm and ask for a replacement.
I mention this as there is no point going in like a bull in a china shop and ranting and raving about it but a polite but firm " I want a replacement, the fan is failing" is the way I would go.

jaritch 07:18 25 May 06

Thank you everybody for your suggestions in regard to this problem. I will take up "Totally - braindead's" suggestion first re taking it back. If that fails then I will pick up on the other ideas suggested.

I will let you know how I get on.

jaritch 17:27 27 May 06

Took the card back to PC World today. Had same conversation with same guy. Yet this time he seemed to have adopted a new helpful personality. No question ... of course I could exchange. They didn't have the same card or equivelent in stock ... so I got a full refund.

I am well pleased. I have £50 in my pocket. My son for whom I bought the card to enable to play certain games on the his pc, no longer likes PC games,(prefers PS2) and is quite happy being back with the onboard graphics.

Thanks for all the responses to this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…