Noisy Fans

4472 22:31 22 Nov 04

I keep replacing cooling fans on both the case and the power supply due to noise. I've tried different manufacturers, Quiet PC and Cool master but each one gets noisey again after 6 months. Anyone had the same problem and is there really a fan which gives better service.

alan227 22:59 22 Nov 04

Have a look at this site.
click here

4472 13:41 23 Nov 04

Alan227

As I said already tried Quiet PC they get noisy after 6 months too!

Gongoozler 16:31 23 Nov 04

Presumeably you're referring to bearing noise rather than blade noise. Blade noise is affected by the profile and speed of the blade. The way to minimise this is by using a large diameter low speed fan. Both power supplies and processor heatsinks are available with these. If the bearings are wearing quickly, then either you are using poor quality fans or they are working in a particularly hostile environment.

woodchip 16:52 23 Nov 04

Try lifting the label in middle of fan and put one spot of oil in the centre.

4472 20:34 23 Nov 04

As I said using fans from Quiet PC and Coolmaster, both supposed to be reputable companies with good products and yes it is the noise from the bearingson the power supply and case fans.Power supply from QuietPC approx 18 months old, case fan coolmaster less than a year. Tried the oil routine Woodchip works for a week then noisey again. Any better companies to try? Is ball bearing better than tube?

4472 20:34 23 Nov 04

As I said using fans from Quiet PC and Coolmaster, both supposed to be reputable companies with good products and yes it is the noise from the bearings on the power supply and case fans.Power supply from QuietPC approx 18 months old, case fan coolmaster less than a year. Tried the oil routine Woodchip works for a week then noisey again. Any better companies to try? Is ball bearing better than tube?

4472 20:36 23 Nov 04

As I said using fans from Quiet PC and Coolmaster, both supposed to be reputable companies with good products and yes it is the noise from the bearings on the power supply and case fans.Power supply from QuietPC approx 18 months old, case fan coolmaster less than a year. Tried the oil routine Woodchip works for a week then noisey again. Any better companies to try? Is tube bearing better than ball?

Dorsai 21:33 23 Nov 04

Things to consider.

Do you have pets. Pets shed lots of hair. This gets sucked into the Fans.

Do you Smoke. Fag smoke it sticky. It makes dust stick to the fan.

Do you have the PC on the floor. Dust sinks, and the floor is as low as it can sink.

Do you/family member have long hair. We all shed hair, just like out pets.

Regardless of the quality of the fan, and it's bearings, if the fan blades get coated in goo, the goo will not deposit it self evenly, and will unbalance the fan. The will not only make the fan noisy, (as the fan vibrats, because it is not balanced), but will impose extra load on the bearing, and cause the beairng to wear out faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…