Noisy Fan CPU Upgrade

Yokehead 10:29 22 Sep 07

Hi All

I have a 4 month old Mesh Elite Express with an ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55)- Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX motherboard, I've replaced the original Core 2 Duo E6600 dual core processor with a QX6700 Core 2 Extreme Quad. My research has shown no changes required to BIOS. All is working fine but the fan appears to be operating at full speed (it's constant), and it's very noisy - it is the stock Intel fan. Is this a simple case of getting a quieter fan (in which case which would be best) or should I be checking out something else first? I don't have a CPU temperature monitor/fan speed control - I did try one of the free downloads recommended in this forum but it didn't work. Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers Yokehead

ICF 11:00 22 Sep 07

What temps are you getting for your new CPU?

Yokehead 11:28 22 Sep 07

37C with the download but not sure if it was correct, any better way to measure?

I am Spartacus 11:38 22 Sep 07

You'll be hard pushed to find a fan to replace the stock one as it's a non-standard fitting.

Quiet PC have a good range of heatsink/fans click here

I've got the Scythe Andy Samurai but the Thermalright Ultra's get good reviews. For either of them you'll need quite a bit of space for them to fit. The 120mm fans run slower and quieter than smaller ones.

Also in addition to the above post by Marg7 setting Speedstep to enabled in the BIOS allows the CPU to cooler when not under load.

I am Spartacus 11:42 22 Sep 07

I've just had a thought. My Asus motherboard came with PC Probe and AI Booster on the CD, both of which show CPU temperature readings. AI Booster allows easy overclocking as well.

Probabilitydrive 11:55 22 Sep 07

I am just about to replace my Intel stock cooler on my QX6700 Core 2 Extreme Quad system.

As space was an issue I bought a compact little number which got very good reviews:
click here
click here

I received it yesterday and the workmanship and attention to detail is impressive. (Haven't installed it yet though)

I bought it from click here
(pretty much the only place I could get it)

Another cooler, which is compact and doesn't need the mobo to have removed is click here
click here
click here

Yokehead 12:27 22 Sep 07

Thanks all, I'll try the BIOS & motherboard routes 1st then move to replacement if necessary, I'll report back.

Yokehead 18:39 22 Sep 07

Sorted - the BIOS has a CPU fan control that was disabled (why - wouldn't enabled have been a better default?), anyway speed is down from 4200 to 2900 rpm and there's much less noise with temp at 45C. Still not the quietest fan but we'll see how it goes. The ASUS programs aren't loaded and Mesh didn't supply the CD, I'll get these from ASUS, including Probe. Thanks again for the pointers.

I am Spartacus 20:14 22 Sep 07

I didn't point out that although the Thermalright Ultra's require motherboard removal the Scythe Andy Samurai doesn't and uses the standard Intel pushpins to fit.

My E6600 running at 3.2GHz idles at around ambient temperature in the outer core and when running at a sustained 100% load is 10-12ºC over ambient.

The highest inner core temperatures are about 48-50ºC under 100% sustained load and idles around 32-34ºC.

Not sure if your temperatures are typical of a QX6700 Quad Extreme?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…