Noisy computer

birdface 13:47 03 Aug 09

This has happened a few times.But will not go away now.It is noisy goes fast slows down.Re light barely flickers.It is like one of the drives is running.
Anyone got any ideas before I open it up.
Computer is working fine just the noise of something running all of the time.
Disabled floppy-CD and R/W from device Manager.
But still the running noise.
Everything has been cleaned inside recently so it should not be that.
Could it just be a noisy PSU fan.

Placed this in Speakers corner by mistake.So closed that one and put it on here instead

OTT_Buzzard 13:58 03 Aug 09

It could be a noisy PSU fan, but keep in mind that disabling a device in device manager doesn't cut off it's power supply.

Open the case, unplug the power to DVD drive and switch the PC on.
When it starts making a noise **very carefully** investigate the CPU cooling fan any case fans and graphics cooling fan (if applicable). If they're not making any noise then you are down to two options. The PSU or hard drive.

Most PSU's are quite easy to open up and clean out - *be careful* if you do this. If it's the hard drive then a replacement drive should be the order of the day.

birdface 14:17 03 Aug 09

Ok.Thought that I would have to get inside it.
Its getting it out from below the desk that was putting me off.
Ok will leave it till a bit later then pull it apart.
Thanks for the advice I will check everything that you suggested.Don't think that I will be able to get the PSU out it looks well lodged in .
Thanks for the advice.

GaT7 14:22 03 Aug 09

To test if it's a noisy PSU/other fan, temporarily prevent the fan(s) from running with a non-conductive object: a plastic pen or rigid piece of cardboard perhaps. Do this before you switch on or the fan(s) starts rotating (of course!), & don't do it for more than a few seconds. G

birdface 14:38 03 Aug 09

Ok will try that as well.Thank You.

OTT_Buzzard 14:56 03 Aug 09

What Croddbow7 has suggested is exactly what I would do, but be careful! If you're too aggressive you can cause permanent damage to fan blades then you're guaranteed to get erroneous noises!

If you're unsure or want to play it safe then unplug the fan power supplies one by one when the PC is switched off.

OTT_Buzzard 14:57 03 Aug 09

Crossbow7, sorry!

oldbeefer2 15:23 03 Aug 09

If you decide to open the PSU, bear in mind that the electrolytic capacitors in there can give you a nasty jolt, so keepfingers away from wiring terminals!

birdface 15:31 03 Aug 09

At the moment just done what you said and stopped the PSU fan for running for about 4-5 seconds and then let it boot up.Noise is gone and I would say that it is quieter than it has been for a long while.
I will restart it a few times to see if it makes any difference.
But I will know to concentrate on the PSU if it comes back.

birdface 15:49 03 Aug 09

Oops sorry I forgot who gave me the idea.Rebooted a few times without the problem coming back.I have not been inside the computer yet.I have bout a new set up but waiting the delivery of Window7 from Amazon.Thats not till october so will try and keep this one going until then.
If it happens again I will go inside and see what I can find.
Thanks everyone for there help.Will leave this open for another 24 hours just in case it comes back and I need some extra help.Thanks everyone for your help so far.It was appreciated.

I am Spartacus 15:52 03 Aug 09

If it sounds like the fan is 'clicking' then you can unscrew each fan mounting screw by 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Sometimes the fan catches on the mounting frame.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…