Noisy!

Gary1638 07:03 17 Jan 04

Hi, all of a sudden my computer has become very noisy. It is just over 3 years old, and the noise is a 'groaning' type of sound, as if a bearing had failed somewhere. I started yesterday, when the noise went away after a few seconds, but today it is going on much longer. Any ideas, please? Thanks

Gary

howard60 07:13 17 Jan 04

try and identify what is making the noise - I know this is easier said than done. It could be the fan on the cpu which is very cheap and easy to change. Open the case - if you have never done it - you will be amazed at the amount of dust and fluff inside. Vacuum it out and then switch on and let it run you should be able to locate the noise.

slimbo51 08:51 17 Jan 04

If u Vacuum be very carefull u don't suck a jumper off the M/board.
I use a very soft 2" paint brush and just blow the dust off.

Pikachu 09:50 17 Jan 04

could b ur power supply it happened to me, the noise was low at first and decided to remove it as it started to increase.

feb 09:59 17 Jan 04

Is it noisy when the pc is idle? If its when your running programs it might be the HD overworking , how much memory does it heve?

johnpr 10:46 17 Jan 04

I have had this myself when a pc is in a dusty enviroment.

Remove the case cover to identify where the noise is coming from. When identified, switch the machine off and remove the power lead. Remove the fan (if possible) and clean, then lubricate the bearing with some light oil.

barryoneoff.co.uk 11:58 17 Jan 04

The cause was the fan on the south chip. If this is the problem, sort it quickly! I left it till I had time, and ended up having to replace the motherboard.

Gary1638 17:01 17 Jan 04

Thanks to you all. I took off the cover, started it up and..presto No noise!!! Gave it a clean, but all is quiet at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Jester2K 17:02 17 Jan 04

Ah a Noise Gremlin got in the case then and now you've set it free...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…