Noise when running & launching Spybot!

gazmix 20:47 15 Feb 08

Hi
When i launch Spybot S&D, my pc makes a grr noise & then it appears!

When i run Spybot, i get a noise like a fan starting & it gradualy builds & the slows down & then the same again many times throughout the scan!

It's only Spybot this happens with!

Any ideas as tow what it could be?

Thanks

Gaz

tullie 20:59 15 Feb 08

Could be a fan

gazmix 23:10 15 Feb 08

Could be, but why when i run Spybot, i didn't get on my old pc! why would it roar so loud, die off & then again?

lisa02 23:16 15 Feb 08

Try removing and reinstalling spybot or have a look in settings.

OR....
In some scanners (I don't use spybot) you have an option to set scan priority ie. low doesn't utilize much resources and high does. Could be using it as a high priority.

tullie 23:17 15 Feb 08

Dont knowbut my fans start up when required,and what do you mean "roar so loud"I supose if no one else has heard it,its difficult.What would you put the noisev on a par with.

esbe 23:55 15 Feb 08

I think there was problem last year with Spybot trying to access floppy drives (is that the noise you are hearing?) & a fix was posted on their forum, but my 2nd pc runs Win Me and Spybot still tries to access the floppy drive.

Have a look here click here

cheers.

gazmix 00:20 16 Feb 08

Maybe thats it, it's not the latest Spybot version, i get all the latest update detections.

Yes, it does sound like the floppy drive being activated!, or a drive, but the fan whirring is strange whilst it runs!

How can i remedy this?

Cheers

Gaz

rdave13 00:28 16 Feb 08

Try uninstalling Spybot S&D, reboot and install version 1.5.2 from file hippo; click here

esbe 00:30 16 Feb 08

You can D/L the latest version of Spybot from click here to see if it makes any difference.

cheers.

gazmix 01:13 16 Feb 08

Do i need to?, the one i got i like, the newer version i don't like!
If all detections are up to date & working, i assume i don't need the latest version!

But would the latest version stop the noise!

My version is 1.3 ( the one i like), detection updated 15/02/08

So shouldn't be a prob!!

Gaz

crosstrainer 07:30 16 Feb 08

As if Cool and quiet is ramping up the fan voltage....I never had this when using spybot before, but have now purcgased Pc Tools spyware doctor, which is a far better programme (although not free)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced