Noise reduction

Dumble452 15:23 30 Jun 04

Since moving my computer to a smaller room I am finding the noise of the fans quite intrusive. What have members of this forum found to be the most effective ways of reducing noise, without becoming obsessive about it? Acoustic fans? Speed controllers? Silicone gaskets? Sound deadening material? Cheapest solution preferred. Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 15:24 30 Jun 04

A couple of fairly silent fans along with a silent PSU and that will make it pretty silent.

TomJerry 15:33 30 Jun 04

First, identify which component make most noise and replace it. Then go for the second one and third one and so on, you can get all components from quitePC click here.

Good fans etc are not cheap. Peace and quiet come with a price, but it is really something worth to try. If you can do without your PC for 3 months, it is a perfect project for students.

hugh-265156 17:00 30 Jun 04

if you have space for 120mm case fans use these as they, although larger than 80mm ones rotate slower so produce less noise but move the same if not more air. you shouldnt need any more than two case fans 1 in and 1 out.

small fans like those on northbridge and graphics cards are winey and most noticable but easily replaced with passive larger heatsinks that are totally silent. these are cheap to buy and easy enough to fit if you feel up to it.

placing small rubber or felt washers between drive mountings and case and between case and fan screws will help reduce vibration. you may laugh here but i bought some cheap rubber car mats @ 3 x for £5 and cut them all up and lined the inside of case doors and empty drive bays etc with them. this made a big difference and i can hardly hear any noise now apart from a slight whooshing. it didnt increase my case temps but does make the case very heavy though click here for more cheap diy nonsense :-)

hugh-265156 17:07 30 Jun 04

ps. i also cut out the fan grills. this helped cut down some noise and improve airflow click here

citadel 18:49 30 Jun 04

the power supply makes the most noise, changing to a silent top quality one from Zalman will reduce noise and your computer will benefit from stable voltages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…