Noise from Monitor

siouxah1 18:14 12 Oct 03

Ilyama 17" purchased Oct 1996. (£580 would you believe)

Part of another PC that is networked. Monitor is not switched on.

When mains supply to monitor is switched on there is a loud bang. Frightens the life out of me!

When monitor switched on it works correctly.

No smell of burning or smoke.

Sounds like heavy duty current discharge.

Your thoughts appreciated. Is it time to replace or repair?

Regards Brian j

DieSse 18:30 12 Oct 03

Monitors often make a significant "Thump" as the HT voltage comes on, and/or the automatic Degauss operates.

Unfortunately without hearing it, it's difficult to say if it's a real problem.

Did it happen just the once, or every time. If just the once, it can often be caused by the Degaussing thermistor failing - which is OKish, but means you won't be able to degauss again, and there will be a slow bulid-up of magnetism in the monitor - and eventually distirted colours.

If it happens every time, it's difficult to say what it may be - and it could presage the end of the monitor shortly.

siouxah1 18:40 12 Oct 03

DieSse,

Thanks for that reply.

No does not happen every time. Just occasionally. Monitor not used that often, but always plugged in to mains. I will try the degaus and see if that works.

Sounds quite loud, similar to the HT capacitor being discharged on a TV when repairman calls. If that makes sense. (I'm not that technical

I rather feel that I should take heed of the final part of your final sentence and replace.

Thanks Brian j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…