Noise from Modem

sak41 15:53 05 Nov 03

When i connect to the internet my modem makes a screeching noise while it is dialing up, but stops when it makes a connection. My operating system is XP and my ISP is Freeserve. Can anyone advise me?

Rtus 16:00 05 Nov 03

If it operates Ok .. turn the sound down in Internet properties Modem configuration,

sak41 16:06 05 Nov 03

where do i find that

ecas 16:39 05 Nov 03

right click ie

ThePharcyde007 16:40 05 Nov 03

m8 I have not laughed for so long! in ages.

Go to start
Settings
Network Connection
Right mouse click your modem and select properties
then a setting in there should be for the modem speaker with a option to run on or off

hope this helps.....the noise is normal though not a problem with your pc!

Stuartli 17:25 05 Nov 03

You should actually find a slider control to turn it up or mute completely.

The noise can be irritating, but it does provide a guide as to whether your modem is dialling out correctly or cannot get through to the server.

Some modems have their own speaker and others use the system case speaker.

21:32 05 Nov 03

Hi all... I'm a new maember to this site (and what a great site it is.
To stop my modem from making it's data/fax niose when connecting I whent to control panel>phones and modems>, click on the modem tab select your modem from list ( you probably only have one there) then click on the properties button, click on the advanced tab at the top and in the EXTRA INITIALIZATION COMMANDS box type: atm0
click ok and you should be noise free. Like I said it worked for and other modems that I used the string for, if it does not work just delete the atm0 string.
hope this helps
Regards Gman

21:37 05 Nov 03

Ooop's... forgot to put name up to last string:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…