Noise on broadband line

miseryguts 15:26 26 Jun 03

Anybody else suffer from noise on voice calls when the modem/router is switched on, on a BT broadband line?

snoresloudly 16:07 26 Jun 03

yep!, the main phone suffers from crackles, the extension in the lounge is almost inaudible and this despite both having filters on. when not on line all are fine!!. Although I am on freeserve I assume it is something to do with the line gain!.

Smudge 16:44 26 Jun 03

Yep, me too.

I have the PC connected, with an adapter for the modem and one phone, and then a further two phones connected downstairs (as well as the obligatory Sky digibox).

There is no pattern to the noise on a voice call when I'm online-sometimes it's clear as a bell, othertimes it is very hissy/crackly.

miseryguts 16:49 26 Jun 03

Yep, I've got filters on every extension too - I started off with cheapies so I changed them for Fuji ones but still no difference.

magic 16:50 26 Jun 03

me too. Rang BT and they said I'd get call back from engineer. No call back so didnt take it any further.
Anyway, too busy gaming for phone calls. I think i can put up with the line crackle if it means fast internet, downlaods etc

dontaskme 17:02 26 Jun 03

Same here, but i use my mobile for phones so don't really have to put up with it.

graham√ 18:08 26 Jun 03

If the broadband works OK, chances are the problem is at your end. Unplug everything, including filters, and plug in one at a time into one socket. Do the same at the next socket. A pattern may emerge of which socket, filter or phone is putting the noise on. I found one phone in the bedroom put noise on when it was just plugged in, so I leave it unplugged!

You should not have to 'put up' with the noise, but be aware if a BT engineer attends, and proves the line OK, you will get a hefty bill.

miseryguts 13:20 30 Jun 03

Graham, thanks you cracked it! I did as you said and, lo and behold, the extension in the garage was causing the problem. Will now use a cordless out there in future. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…