NOF and grandchildren

Diemmess 09:41 16 Aug 06

There ought to be an absolute beginners for web design, I would fit in better!
This forum has given me amazing support pulling me out of dark helplessness, to the point of being able to manage a very simple website.

Simple? question...
Is there a way of using NOF to add a "grandchild" page to a child page and have it show its navigation button in its parent?

At present I am using a work-around with links in and out of that new page (not yet uploaded to the site). In structure the new page is shown as a child of a child, but navigation buttons have yet to appear!

ade.h 13:21 16 Aug 06

Hi Diemmess, your usual respondent here! :-)

Do you mean that you want flyout submenus to expand out of the existing navigation bar, or would you prefer the new pages to be added to the existing navbar?

Don't worry to much about the effects of site structure if you want the latter, though it is very important if you want the former.

Your new pages can be added to each individual navigation bar by experimenting with the different settings on its properties palette: for example, you can change the page level that it uses, you can remove the index page from the menu, or go for the custom option. I usually go for that, as it guarantees getting the pages that I want.

When setting out your custom links, you can play around with their placement and even attach them to other pages (by a click and drag approach) if flyouts are used.

click here for an example of flyouts on one of my sites. Used here to categorise pages under section headings, if you will, and avoid huge navigation bars running down the side.

As always, feel free to ask me for more info if required.

Diemmess 13:56 16 Aug 06

Let it be known - I have no proprietorial rights over ade.h ...He just seems to pop up whenever I need help!
ade.h you are most welcome.

It will take some time to follow your advice like a half blind person trying to join up the dots.
Will upload what I have for now and then modify a copy using your suggestions for simply adding to the existing navigation buttons.

ade.h 14:08 16 Aug 06

You can always make a copy in NOF by going to File and Save Site As... then choosing a new name. Don't do this if you have made changes to the site while it was open, as they will be saved to the new version and what you are viewing will become the new version. Changes made at this time can be saved to the original site by going through the above steps and picking the original site's name.

Diemmess 15:00 16 Aug 06

The original site which was last uploaded (on to the Host) was later saved_as "new name" without further alteration.
The site was closed and "newname" opened and modified.
If I publish this to the (host) it will incorporate all the changes I have just made, but the original domain can still be recovered by opening the "oldname" and publishing that.

My query is that the normal rules I use in Word or Graphic stuff still apply
i.e change the name to preserve the old and use a new name for heavy modification.
Saving to an old name will overwrite and lose what went before?

Diemmess 15:03 16 Aug 06

Spelled out I mean ..... save_as "newname" to preserve the old!!!

ade.h 15:15 16 Aug 06

Yep, that's right. The principal is exactly the same. The only thing to to be careful of is what changes you make to which version! But it does make a very good test site that can be hit with the proverbail wrecking ball and it doesn't matter. I do that if I give a site a major style/layout overhaul; make a copy, change that, and if I mess it up or change my mind, no harm done.

Diemmess 15:28 16 Aug 06

Just noticed, The page which is new and does link internally, is a child of a child of a child - page!

When open, the navigation buttonsof this new page show its parent and all before it.

The parent of this new page is more reticent and doesn't own up to a child!

ade.h 15:36 16 Aug 06

What settings are you using for that navbar?

Diemmess 15:49 16 Aug 06

Oh dear, sorry, settings, who they?

ade.h 16:59 16 Aug 06

I've got NOF open right now, so I made a screengrab click here What have you got for those settings?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…