no xp cd with new laptop.

>steve< 16:37 05 Jan 07

i have just bought a advent laptop but i am shocked that they do give you the xp cd,i think this is wrong they charge you extra to have a operating system so why dont they give you the disks.anyway how can i restore my pc if things go wrong and you cant get into safe mode?

Diodorus Siculus 16:39 05 Jan 07

You will very likely have to create your own - they usually come with directions to burn a restoration DVD as a backup

Strawballs 16:44 05 Jan 07

Did you not get the option to create one when you first set it up? if not try looking in system tools some makers put it in there.

xania 16:59 05 Jan 07

Or yopu may find there's a hidden partition on your HHD with the install - your manual will tell you how to restore your computer to factory settings.

Graham. 17:13 05 Jan 07

yopu, the partition will not be hidden.

woodchip 17:21 05 Jan 07

You should Get Acronis True Image and create Images of all Partitions to DVD and if Possible a External Drive. Before you have problems

PaulB2005 17:59 05 Jan 07

Advent no longer supply the discs and in return you save a small amount of money.

All Advent PCs come with a Recovery Disc creation program so you can make your own recoery CDs or DVD. I would do this first and then follow woodchip advice regarding Acronic True Image.

mymate 19:56 05 Jan 07

Dell supplied me with a Windows xp disc.Packard Bell never did.Mind you Packard Bell probably has a better customer service than Dell,that i have renamed Hell !

>steve< 20:06 05 Jan 07

thanks for your replies i did make a copy when i first booted up the pc but if windows don't start how can you get to the recovery program?

Technotiger 20:09 05 Jan 07

With Acronis you make a bootable recovery CD.

PaulB2005 21:19 05 Jan 07

"thanks for your replies i did make a copy when i first booted up the pc but if windows don't start how can you get to the recovery program?"

To use the Advent Recovery CDs, you put the cd / dvd in the drive and switch the PC on. It'll boot from the disk and allow you to restore the Pc back to factory settings.

"Dell supplied me with a Windows xp disc.Packard Bell never did."

PB hide the recovery data on the PC. You hit F11 at the PB logo on start up or use the recovery cds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…