No Wireless Connection????

JackLong 23:15 30 Dec 09

Hi,

Please can someone help me??

I have just installed Orange Broadband (I am using Window XP), I have the Siemens Router they give out and the internet works fine via a normal cable!!!

I just bought a Belkin G Wireless dongle, that installed fine too... Nothing was connecting at first...so I popped in the original broadband CD I got from Orange and chose the wireless connection.... Next thing I know... I am surfing the net WIRELESS!!!!!!!

BUT!!! My problem is... every time I turn my laptop off... I have to keep popping in the Orange CD and go through the same instructions, give my router security code etc etc etc... I cant seemed to get my Wireless Network connection to automatically connect to my Orange Broadband Router when clicking on the internet.. I have to keep re-installing the CD???

What are my options please?

Many Thanks

Jack

mgmcc 14:15 31 Dec 09

You shouldn't need the CD in order to connect. Go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks". Select the one whose SSID (Network Name) matches that of your router and select the option to "Connect".

If you've been unable to carry that out, make sure you have the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service running. Go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. Scroll down to the Wireless Zero Configuration entry and double click it to open its Properties sheet. Ensure the service is "Started" and that its startup type is set to "Automatic".

After connecting, Windows should retain the settings so that it connects automatically in future if the network is available.

There is a problem in that some third-party software supplied with Wireless Network Adapters takes back control of the wireless networking from WZC when the PC is rebooted. Have a look at click here for instructions to install a Belkin WiFi adapter with drivers only, i.e. without Belkin's connectivity software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017