No Windows Disc with new PC

Steve M 21:36 20 Sep 04

Think I've seen this one before but can't remember what was said ... new Compaq Presario from PC World, HDD is partitioned in to C & D drives. Apparently D contains XP Home edition (I think?) I'm a bit edgy about not having a disc I can insert should I need to re-install, how do I get at it?? Windows Explorer won't let me in.The nearest I get is to view the pie-chart in properties via My Computer

son-of-a-gun 21:45 20 Sep 04

I've heard of that too, check see if it possible to copy the contents of D:/XP Home. with Nero or similar

What would concern me about this situation is if the Hd went up the duff after expiry of the warranty period. I know its to late for you but I would avoid like the plague a manufacturer selling a PC with that set-up.
Just my 2 ps worth

stalion 21:45 20 Sep 04

if you do not have a windows disc you should have a disc to restore your computer to the factory settings if you have problems.

Steve M 22:16 20 Sep 04

Yes ..I made a restoration disc when prompted when I first switched on ...everythings ok at present but I'll be living on a knife-edge in case anything happens son of a gun said, lose the HDD,lose the lot!! Not sure how to use restore disc, presumably you 'boot' to it??

TomJerry 22:23 20 Sep 04

In most cases, you just boot from it, but different PC maker may do differnet things, some need to use a floppy to boot. Ask their tech support to find out.

stalion 22:23 20 Sep 04

If you have just bought the pc why don't you go to pc world and ask them to explain the situation to you?

Eargasm 22:36 20 Sep 04

It's possible to create a bootable cd from your i386 folder which will probavly be on your d: partition.

Have a look at click here they are not the best instructions in the world but i have managed to do it with my pc world computer that had no windows cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…