No Windows Boot up

sorceror7374 17:22 31 Mar 08

My system suddenly showed blue screen during use which stated that Windows had shut itself down to prevent damage to my system but didn't state whether it was a hardware or software issue. The blue screen went on to say to reboot unless it was the second time this blue screen had appeared which in that case I was to follow onscreen instructions. Upon rebooting, Windows won't start....it stops either at 'detecting IDE drives' or it'll go as far as the 'Windows XP' boot up screen and then restart the boot up all over again. The PC is a dual boot system and it does the same no matter which OS I try to go into. The OS partitions are on separate physical hard drives and are both XP Pro. Any ideas what the issue is and/or what I can do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 31 Mar 08

The OS partitions are on separate physical hard drives and are both XP Pro.

yes but the boot files are on the C: drive

You have corrupt windows boot files on the c:drive (maybe bad boot sector)

Assuming you have a disk bot to recovery console and run chkdsk /r

and try to reboot if no good then try an XP repair
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

sorceror7374 17:52 31 Mar 08

Don't know anything about the recovery console or running chkdsk/r.
XP setup is telling me that my CD may be damaged despite this being the same one that I've used all along. Guess I'm screwed until I can afford another copy. Will a new copy repair the old installation or will I have to do a fresh install being that it's a new disk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 31 Mar 08

Will a new copy repair the old installation

Yes

Try cleaning the CD and/or the drive, or try using a different CD drive if you have one.

oldjohn 19:12 31 Mar 08

Try removing the cmos battery on the motherboard, leave it out for about half an hour. Replace battery and enter the bios,select load "default settings" and reboot.This will (poss.)load Windows and enable you to find the cause.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…