No windows 98se

hooligan 07:44 05 May 05

I turned my pc on,no windows it started up, but as it went to the windows it was a blank page with

page flaut in mod kernell 32 dll, and it said close down, on doing that it is i get get, no windows

if i press ctrl alt del, theres no programs running

i can get to the bios, but dont know what to do there, and thats it!!

Diodorus Siculus 07:48 05 May 05

Do you have the win98 disk? If so, go into BIOS and look at boot options.

Then set the PC to boot from the CD.

Choose to reinstall windows which should repair it for you.

xania 09:05 05 May 05

Alternatively, you can boot from a bootable floppy disk, which you should have created when you first installed 98SE. Then, at the A:\ prompt type c:\setup and reinstall Windows over the top.

Bellboy 09:43 05 May 05

>>>Alternatively, you can boot from a bootable floppy disk, which you should have created when you first installed 98SE. Then, at the A:\ prompt type c:\setup and reinstall Windows over the top.<<<

Last time I tried that, Windows would not let me proceed because a virus checker was operating. I switched off, then uninstalled Norton, but still no reinstall.

Any ideas?

mattyc_92 10:00 05 May 05

I don't think that the Windows 98 installation disk is bootable, so hooligan may need a bootable floppy disk (aka. Windows 98 Startup Disk)

You would have to type in:

?:\setup.exe (? = drive letter for the CD drive)

OR

format c:\ (to format the drive and then use the other command afterwards)

click here for the Windows 98 Startup Disk (it's the 9th buttet point, click onot the link in that paragraph)

woodchip 10:49 05 May 05

If you have a Boot floppy disc!!!!!!!!!! start with Floppy allow to get to A:\> then

type C:

it should change to C:\> now type

CD WINDOWS

it should go to C:\WINDOW> type

SCANREG /RESTORE press enter choose old date then press enter

Diodorus Siculus 16:34 05 May 05

mattyc_92 - yes, you are right! Well, it was early in the morning and I've not installed Win98 for many years... Go the route of the bootable floppy.

hooligan 14:34 07 May 05

But its now in the bin, the enginear said its had it, and would be cheaper to get a s/h one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…