No, that wasn't the solution to start-up problem

greybeard 14:46 20 Nov 05

Sorry Acolyte, I wrote too soon.
My original start up of xp2 went straight to the classic desktop.
Suddenly it started to ask me to click on a user name.
I went to settings and unchecked the appropriate button, and yes, it did stop asking me to click user name. But in the small print is the alternative - it asks you for password/account info, so I still have to click on a window to get thing to finish loading.(I've not set a password.

So something more fundamental has changed, and I still need help in undoing this knot.

VoG II 14:49 20 Nov 05

Previous thread click here

Start, Run, type

control userpasswords2

and click OK. Untick 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer'.

greybeard 14:57 20 Nov 05

VoG - After all this time, I think I've just guessed what your username stands for - and very appopriate it seems to me.
Many thanks.

However, I will wait an hour or so before checking the resolved box (see my posting in the "resolved box"thread.
Not that my name is Thomas, you understand. That honour belongs to someone higher up, ehem ehem.

greybeard 15:24 20 Nov 05

SOS from Greybeard via daughter.
I did what you said but now I get a "log onto windows" with user name administrator, but no password has been set. I press ok, but it won't let me in.
Panic Panic panic!
Daughter will relay advise via phone (as we are both on broadband)

greybeard 15:25 20 Nov 05

PS can I "restore" in safe mode, as oem installation of xp. How do I get into safe mode?

Diodorus Siculus 15:26 20 Nov 05

How do I get into safe mode?

Keep pressing F5 at startup till menu appears

greybeard 16:03 20 Nov 05

Thanks DS. Got in, and restored. Now all is ok.
Bit nailbiting as I've never had to do a restore before, but it is all very straightforward.
Thanks to daughter for acting as go between.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…