No volume controls or sound -onboard sound card

cosh 20:07 03 Apr 07

I have just reformatted my hard drive and loaded everything back successfully ,even my modem with your help (see earlier query) EXCEPT for my sound system.

I have a Microstar International MS-6198 motherboard with AWARD BIOS 6.00 PG. (I found that out using Belaric.com which I read about whilst searching this forum) and am running Windows 98.

CD’s play using CD player but I get no sound. In -- accessories –entertainment and then selecting Volume controls gets no response . I can not get volume controls to appear.

In the BIOS ,”onboard sound” is set to auto –only other choice is “off”
In Device Manager there is a yellow ? by PCI Multimedia Audio Device and further checks show “No driver installed”.

Do I need a driver and if so where could I get one and what would its type be.

I assumed that by the term PCI in Multimedia device it is refering to a SOUND card in a PCI slot not a sound card built into the motherboard as I have. Am I wrong in my assumption- are built in sound cards still referred to as PCI ones?

Would appreciate any help and explanation Thanks

ICF 20:14 03 Apr 07

Get your driver click here

ICF 20:19 03 Apr 07

From Msi website

Audio
Creative® ES1373
Running on PCI BUS.

cosh 21:46 03 Apr 07

Thanks ICF for the Msi driver details. I downloaded the driver and tried to install it as the driver for the PCI MUltimedia Audio Device using Device Manager --properties --reinstall driver etc and browsing for the the folder but non of the folders in the driver would it recognise = it kept asking me to place a Cd with a codec in the CD-ROM.
Can you explain how to load these drivers it must be different from what I've done before or am I trying to load it to the wrong item.

Thanks

phono 21:58 03 Apr 07

If you have your motherboard CD there will most likely be a compatible sound driver included on it.

Whilst on this point, have you loaded the motherboard drivers? It can have a big impact on audio, video and system performance.

Ashrich 23:40 03 Apr 07

You'll probably find , if you browse the download that there is a Set up file , double click on this and it will automatically install the drivers and control panel entry for you .

Ashley

woodchip 23:44 03 Apr 07

What is the one you downloaded? is it a Zip file? you have to unzip it and then double click on the setup file for it to install. Or if it's a ,EXE file just double click the file

ICF 20:10 04 Apr 07

Unzip the file and click on the EXE file called SETUP.EXE

Just like Woodchip said

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…