No Video Display

taffy101 14:40 07 Oct 07

A friend has given me his computer to look at as he is getting no video display, just a message on screen saying 'no input'. I have checked the leads and tried another monitor on his computer but get the similar message 'no connection'. He says the problem stems from when he upgraded the memory chip from 512Mb to 1 GB. Thinking the new chip was faulty, he replaced the old memory but the display was still blank. Could the new memory have damaged the motherboard in some way or could my friend have done so himself by been careless? My friend has asked me if I could replace the motherboard. I have fitted a motherboard in my own computer before but I am reluctant to do so in his before I have ruled out other possibilities, for example could the processor be caput also?

brundle 14:45 07 Oct 07

Any beeps when you start the machine? Tried disconnecting all but one drive and with only one memory stick in. Did you friend take any precautions to prevent ESD; click here bit late now...

taffy101 14:59 07 Oct 07

There are no beeps at all when the machine starts. There is only one memory stick in the machine. I have even tried staring the machine with the memory removed. There were still no beeps and no display. I don't believe my friend did take any ESD precauitions. For the drives I presume you mean disconnect the DVD drives and leave the hard disc connected?

brundle 15:03 07 Oct 07

If there are no beeps at all with no memory inserted, motherboard or CPU are suspect/broken (though it is worth checking the system speaker on another PC, just in case). Yes, I meant all but one drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 07 Oct 07

Reset the BIOS to default settings by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Then try and boot with just CPU, HDD, graphics card and one stick of memeory.

May also be worth removing and refitting the graphics card (in case disturbed when installing new memory).

taffy101 15:27 07 Oct 07

Thanks for those suggestions. I have already tried resetting the BIOS and refitting the graphics card with no luck. I will try checking the speaker and starting with one drive connected when I get chance to open the case. I have to pop out just now.

taffy101 21:08 15 Oct 07

Having had chance to check the computer again, I've had no luck. Starting with one drive connected made no difference. Also I 've been unable to find an internal speaker connected at all. I was of the opinion that this should be found in the front panel, but I found no sign of one there. Where elso could a speaker be found ? There is a connector on the motherboard marked speaker but nothing connected there. Any help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 15 Oct 07

Try plugging in another PSU, extra memory may have put that last little bit of strain on the PSU.

woodchip 21:28 15 Oct 07

It may be the PSU as given it's last Breath. If that's gone you will not get much

taffy101 21:41 15 Oct 07

I'm getting lights flashing as the computer attempts to boot up and noises to suggest the drives are spinning, just no display. So could this be a power supply problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 15 Oct 07

Possible

However have you tried another graphics card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…