No user ID in task manager XP home

Eddd 19:25 11 Oct 05

I seem to have lost my user id in task manager.
It used to show me as 'xxxxx' logged on but now there is nothing there under users.
I have all my updates and anti-virus and spyware and firewall are all up to date and showing no infection.

CurlyWhirly 20:19 11 Oct 05

I just checked and mine has gone too!
I could have sworn that I used to have a name of some description in there before.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:34 11 Oct 05

How are you logging on?

If using the autologon nothing appears

Eddd 09:31 12 Oct 05

I just turn on the computer and my desktop appears. I am the only user, but my friends p.c. is set up the same as mine and he is the only user and he is shown in the user id under task manager.
I followed a help file on disabling xp services some time ago, could I have turned it off when I did this and if so what would I have to change?
I disabled about 30 services that were supposedly hogging my resources.

Eddd 09:44 12 Oct 05

I have just managed to resolve this problem.
I had disabled terminal services.
CurlyWhirly, try this.
Go to control panel, then choose performance and maintenance, then choose administrative tools.
Choose services (shortcut) and then scroll down to terminal services.
If it is disabled or stopped, Right-click on the stopped or disabled word and then select properties.
Now from the drop down menu roughly in the middle choose startup type and select automatic and then start, click apply then go back to your desktop open task manager and under users you should now see your id.

CurlyWhirly 21:12 12 Oct 05

Your advice in your 09:44 post worked. Thanks :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…