No USB port which PCI USB card should I buy?

Summer76 06:13 14 Mar 03

I want to upgrade my internet connection from dial up to broadband but my processor does not have a USB port. The isp/s I want to use supports a USB modem.

Can someone tell me what PCI to USB card they'd recommend? I would also like to connect my scanner,(which is not vital if it interfers with the USB modem) but still need a good quality transfer rate. I've researched the best I could, and keep coming up with the 2.0 card.

I'm desperate for advice

powerless 06:38 14 Mar 03

USB2.0 - USB1.1 is ok...Tranfer speeds will not exceed USB1.1 so you can go for a 1.1 if you wish.

click here for a selection. Theres one at a Fiver for USB2.

If you do not want to buy online. PC World do them...

cream. 06:55 14 Mar 03

If you are using windows 95b or above then these cards work very well.

Check in the bios that usb is enabled.

Just plug it in to a spare pci slot and boot up.

Windows will ask for the operating disk to take the files off it.

When you install any usb device, always put the drivers on first before plugging the usb device in.

You will then be ready to go.

IZZY 16:45 14 Mar 03

If you have Win98SE, Win2000, WinME or XP, the Belkin F5U220 PCA/USB card - a bit pricey at £49.99 PC World - will give you 5 USB Ports on a single card. The card is fully backward compatible with USB 1.1

I installed this a few weeks ago precisely for broadband and I've had no problems. I don't know how cheaper cards might do but having spent the money on Broadband I felt a known and respected mfr. would be the best bet.

You could do some research here

click here

and here

click here

flecc 19:17 14 Mar 03

Simply are doing that Belkin FU220 card that IZZY mentions at a lower price, PC World are dear on these.

Good advice from the village idiot, always install the drivers first, it can be impossible with the card in.

Alan2 21:20 14 Mar 03

I asked a similar question at the end of last year and you may be interested to see the responses.

click here

Yesterday I finally upgraded to Freeserve broadband and find the card works a treat.

Summer76 03:28 16 Mar 03

Thanks for all the advice. I've opted to go for this click here
OR click here

I'm running Win 98SE have 32RAM and my CPU is Cyrix MediaGXtm MMXtm Enhanced.
I'm just not sure which one to buy.

I know my RAM is pathetic I plan to upgrade it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…