No upgrade for me.

Glen 21:12 22 Jan 05

A professional computer expert recently told me that my PC was not suitable for upgrading. I had wanted to install more RAM and change my CD-ROM drive to a CD burner.
I have Windows 98SE, a 600 Mhz processor, 128 MB RAM, 15 GB HDD, USB 1.0, and a CD-ROM / DVD-ROM drive.
Was this good advice? I would like to backup to CD, and archive a lot of photo images onto CD.
If I got an external CD burner, could I use it with USB 1.0, and would it be satisfactory.

Glen

mattyc_92 21:18 22 Jan 05

You could add a CD burner to the spec, but with your processor's speed, it may take 20minutes for something that would take anyone else around 4 minutes... As for the RAM, there is no reason to do that... If you want to speed up your system, then I would advise looking to change the processor...

russmini 21:28 22 Jan 05

upgrade the ram for definate, try these also

click here

click here

these will tell you all about your system, from there you know what it is made of and can then go to the various manufacturer web pages for upgrade info etc

AndySD 21:32 22 Jan 05

click here yes you can install a cd-rw and as for RAM an extra 128 or 256 will make a difference. If you are ok with the pc's current speed but just wish a small increase this will be suitable. You will need the make/model of the pc or the motherboard. Then look click here

Michendi 21:42 22 Jan 05

Good advice from all..... BUT remember that your PC is in a "dead-end" street. Based on the other specs I guess that your PC is around 7 years old. 7 years ago most of the technologies that are "standard" today had not even been thought of back then. Any money you spend on your system now will give you a limited return - a bit like spending money on a 1980 car.

If your credit card can take the pressure - especially after Christmas :) then your money may be better spent on a new box which will give your the chance to experience all the new technologies.

My personal view is that you probably received the right advice in the beginning.

lester1 21:50 22 Jan 05

Your system spec is pretty close to mine,
Win 98SE, 650Mhz processor 256MB memory, 15G hard drive, USB1,4X DVD player and 4-2-2 CDR-RW writer.
So no problem a CDR-RW will work alright.It does take about 20 minutes to write a full CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 22 Jan 05

Another 128M (approx £35) of memory

CD writer (£25)

bigger Harddrive (£42 120G)

last two can be put into newer machine later

Buchan 35 21:59 22 Jan 05

I think Michendi is right, as are the other posts.I`ve got a really old system and the one I`m using now. It too is old by today`s standards and I`m looking at updating later in the year when the pennies are right. However, Glen, don`t chuck it out yet, follow the advice from the earlier posts first and if you find it`s going to be as Michendi said, updating a 1980 car, then rethink. My old piece of kit has a 800 Mhz CPU,384 Mb RAM 40 Gb Hdd and a DVD/CD RW. I always put my photos on CD. There`s hope yet mate.

Senile Syd 22:02 22 Jan 05

Michendi and the others are offering good advice. For five years or so I ran a system with much the same spec as yours, except that I had 512MB RAM because I do a lot of Photoshop work for my website. It coped splendidly with two CD burners (an early, sloowww one and a much faster replacement), but when it fell over big-style a few weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and treat myself to a new PC instead of chucking good money away on trying to tart up an outdated system.

I haven't regretted it, and now I guess I'm probably as future-proofed as I could be — i.e. I'm safe for the next three weeks...

Good luck.

dan11 22:34 22 Jan 05

it's not going to cost a lot, to get what you want. If the machine does what you need, then fine. You could even put in a cdrw \ dvd combo and the watch the occasion dvd on the computer. This ancient laptop I am on has a 700Mhz cpu and 128Mb of sdram. Yet I can watch dvd's on it and burn cdr's from it.

It is more than likely that your ram is sdram 133Mhz. A 128 mb of kingston £17.63 click here

A decent cdrw with software 52 x 32 x 52 £15.27
click here

For £33 plus delivery, you could have a machine
that does what you want.

Or a cdrw\dvd combo £23.53 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…