no "tools" option in explorer!!

Cessna 22:01 28 Jan 04

My dad has just bought a second hand pc, which works fine, except that the pc is looking for a program called fireworks to open jpeg images. this used to be the program associated with jpegs, but it has been deleted now. presumably though somewhere in the bowels of the registry explorer is looking for it to open jpegs. the problem is when he clicks on open it just says it cant and doesnt give the option to choose what to open the jpeg with. And, oddly, there is no Tools tab at the top (though there is file, edit, view, favourites, and help)!!! i know if i can get the tools tab back i can change the file type association... but how can i get the tools tab??? or is there a registry key i can use to change file associations???

any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ps. he is using windows 98 SE

VoG II 22:07 28 Jan 04

If you shift+right click on the file and choose Open With you can browse to find the picture viewer you want to use and tick the box that says always use this program...

TommyRed 23:07 28 Jan 04

I found for VoG's solution to work, and it does, I needed to highlight the file first. HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…