No system sounds on XP

Siberian Winter 23:22 15 Aug 13
Answered

My daughter's PC runs XP Pro SP3, and she has lost the system sounds and any sound from streaming video (e.g. YouTube). Sound plays OK from iTunes and from media files. All other indications are OK, no error messages of any sort, just silence. It also won't work if I go to the 'sound scheme' box. There is a sound scheme selected, and clicking the 'demonstrate' button for a sound appears to play the sound, but nothing is heard. Any suggestions? Thanks.

johndrew 09:48 16 Aug 13

Is there a volume icon on the taskbar? If not look at this and then ensure the volume is turned up. Also check the audio service is running.

You may also find this helpful.

Has the installation recently been updated with SP3?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:10 16 Aug 13

Open volume control and make sure nothing is muted.

Siberian Winter 10:13 16 Aug 13
Answer

Many thanks for your answer, but the problem proved to be more banal. Unknown to me, the speaker jack had 'fallen out' and been replaced - in the wrong socket. No wonder it wasn't working properly. Something I should have checked, but I was assured that the sound had simply stopped working. Now in the green socket and all OK. Sorry for wasting your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…