No status monitor on Epson R220 printer

Brenne 13:21 01 Jun 08

I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO R220 printer, which worked well until yesterday. It may now be past it (bought Dec 2005) but I hope not.

Yesterday I successfully printed off 40 copies of an A4 black-ink-only document. I noticed the final copy looked faint, so assuming it had run out, I changed the black ink cartridge.
It still prints only traces of black. I did a "clean heads" process a couple of times, each followed by a check print. All colours fine, but no black!

At this point I noticed that the maintenance panel has all the "clean heads" actions etc available but the "Status monitor" greyed out . Also, now, the red light on the printer is flashing, but I can't find out why (presumably because of whatever fault is preventing the black ink to flow). I've tried re-installing the cartridge a couple of times. This still may be the source of the problem, but previously when I've run out of ink, the status monitor has told me so, and certainly hasn't been greyed out.

Any advice please? (I'd rather not dump the machine if it can be avoided).

anchor 13:37 01 Jun 08

Contact Epson support, either by "e-talk", phone or e-mail.

click here

britto 13:50 01 Jun 08

Epon R220 Interactive Help page

click here

Technotiger 14:09 01 Jun 08

Similar happened to me with my Epson R220 a while ago - I simply downloaded the Status Monitor from the Epson web-site.

Brenne 22:06 08 Jun 08

Thanks Technotiger and others. Epson e-mail did solve the greyed-out problem, and told me how to download the utility. Printer still not functioning, I may have to abandon it. I note mags including PCA no longer review printers, only mfd's. Sign of the times? And how does one get the "problem resolved" tick to stick?

woodchip 22:51 08 Jun 08

Red light is service light

Switcher 22:52 08 Jun 08

Tick the box then click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple