No start menu and can't shutdown

Daveken 21:11 04 Dec 03

Everytime my home pc goes to windows after booting, the taskbar which contains the START button and menu disappear or go blank. Taskbar also dissappear. As a result, I can only shut my pc down by simply turning it off from the base unit. Everything looks normal in safe mode by the way.

My second problem is my Internet Explorer does not work on laptop. I can connect to the internet but I cannot access any webpage either online or offline.

Please help.

VoG II 21:15 04 Dec 03

Which version(s) of Windows are you running on these two machines?

woodchip 21:41 04 Dec 03

see if the task bar is in auto hide mode. moove your arrow to bottom and sides of screen to see if it pops up

Mr_Nice_Guy 23:26 04 Dec 03

1. you might have adware or spyware. run spybot.
2. you can shut down by ctrl alt delete. well with xp. what os you running.

Load up task manager and see if anythings suspicious. I had a problem of just my wallpaper loading at startup and there were no icons or taskbar. so i closed one program after another until i found the culprit and it loaded straight away, then ran spybot, found it and deleted it.

Daveken 09:25 06 Dec 03

I was operating on Windows 98 when this problem occured.
First opened some programs like your internet explorer and any other programs.
At this stage, my task bar looked visible but I could not see either the start button, my digital clock or the programs running. It was all grey and blank. I could only shutdown by going to ctrl-alt & del.
I solved the problem by bringing up task manager and closed one or two unknown and weird program or biscuits (oops! I mean cookies). That was it. The taskbar contents were visible and I was able to minimise and maximise any window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009