No Start Button

baz.b 22:55 30 Jan 03

We are doing a check on old computers at school to see if some can be fetched back into service.
One of them running Win 95 when it starts and gets to the desktop the bottom bar containing the start button and clock flashes on briefly then disappears, all the short cuts are still on screen. The only way to shut down is to use alt-Ctrl-Del.
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Barry

Djohn 22:58 30 Jan 03

Is it on auto Hide, when you hold the curser over it does it come back?

MalcSP 23:00 30 Jan 03

Check to see if the bar has been dragged to below the level of the screen by moving the mouse slowly down. If,near the bottom the cursor turns to a twin headed arrow, hold down the left mouse button and drag it upwards.

VoG™ 23:01 30 Jan 03

CTRL+ESC: Opens the Start menu (use the ARROW keys to select an item)
CTRL+ESC or ESC: Selects the Start button (press TAB to select the taskbar, or press SHIFT+F10 for a context menu)

from click here

baz.b 23:38 30 Jan 03

thank you all for your speedy replies, I found in the startUp, reference to a program that had been deleted, once I removed this the start button and clock now show on the desktop. I must assume that windows must have been trying to start the deleted program at start up. Windows didn't show anything to say that their was a problem.
May I thank you once again for your help and speedy replies, no doubt I will need it again before we have finished the work with the computers.

Barry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…