no sound on xp

ripendigging 11:24 21 Feb 11

My sound has suddenly gone from my pc.In device manager I get the message,Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus: This device is not configured correctly.code 1.The motherboard is P5G-MX Asus,I have the disc for the motherboard drivers etc.When I download drivers it starts to download Realtek H.D. Audio Driver then I get a Fail to download message.Is it broken?

JanetO 11:50 21 Feb 11

Try deleting the sound device in device manager and reboot. It then should automatically locate the driver and install.

ripendigging 12:00 21 Feb 11

Will not uninstall.Message reads, needed for boot up.Checked in the bios and it is enabled.

GaT7 13:18 21 Feb 11

For the Audio Device error, try running a Windows Update scan & download+install from there.

1. Visit the Windows Update site: click here

2. Click on 'Custom' button to run the scan

3. Once the scan completes, click on the 'Hardware, Optional' link in the left column

4. Install the 'ATI - Sound - ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01'

5. You may need to reboot for it to take effect.

It happens to me sometimes, so I've also made a screenshot to remind me what to do click here.

If no joy with the above, I think this error may be related to the Microsoft KB article click here. So if you get their 'Fixit' pop-up on visiting the above link, click on the 'Run now' button & you may get offered a special download to resolve it. G

ripendigging 15:12 21 Feb 11

I have tried both methods with no success,are the usb sound cards worth trying,I note they are very cheap.?

GaT7 16:11 21 Feb 11

Let's try a few more things before you buy a replacement soundcard...

Visit the Asus site for your motherboard click here, then click on the Download tab > Operating System > WinXP > Utilities. Download & install 'Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003 HD Audio Patch KB888111'. Reboot the PC.

You should also try the latest Realtek audio driver click here. G

ripendigging 14:53 22 Feb 11

Thankyou for all your help,I have tried what you advised Crossbow, but failed.The downloads get right to the end,then a failure box appears.
On bootup I am still getting the message that the device is not working correctly.Thankyou again.

GaT7 15:00 22 Feb 11

If you pm me (via the yellow envelope next to my username), I can send you the KB888111 file via email as it's quite small. Does your email/ISP allow attachments of about 3Mb?

Are you having problems downloading other files as well? G

ripendigging 15:21 22 Feb 11

Thankyou Crossbow,I have downloaded and run both the files including the KB file,but nothing works.

GaT7 15:24 22 Feb 11

Did you reboot after installing both?

And did you try the KB888111 'XP SP2' one? G

GaT7 15:41 22 Feb 11

OK, I think I know what's wrong. In order to install KB888111 on XP SP3, you need to do a small registry edit as explained at click here. Set a manual System Restore point before attempting.

If you need help with it, just ask. I can also provide an alternative way (w/o opening the registry), that you can make yourself to achieve the same.

Ignore this post if you've managed to resolve it in the meantime. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…