no sound on xp

xp user 23:36 08 Jan 11

Hi

I recently re-installed windows xp on my computer but seem to have lost the sound.. When I go to control panel and then sounds and devices and click on audio teh sound playback says no playback devices and is greyed out when previously it had Modem #0 Line Playback I think

Also before I had sound max but when this I try to install this it says no driver?

Please can anyone advise how to remedy this?

thanks in advance for any assistance provided

ashleycardwell94 23:50 08 Jan 11

search your motherboard make and model online. Download the audio drivers. This happened to me but lucjily i had a disk that came with my computer with drivers.

xp user 19:24 17 Jan 11

Hi thanks for your message

When I download the soundmax software from the manufacurers website

click here

it now says I dont have the driver now! I am confused

northumbria61 12:48 18 Jan 11

Download SIW from here click here install/run - under the heading (left hand side) "hardware" select "motherboard" which will give you the info required - ie.Exact model of your motherboard - post back here for help.

northumbria61 12:49 18 Jan 11

SIW - choose the Freeware version to download.

xp user 19:06 18 Jan 11

Hi

My motherboard model is 760GXK8MC

Thanks

GaT7 19:09 18 Jan 11

Did you download the drivers from click here? G

xp user 19:27 18 Jan 11

No..I downloaded the link

click here

then clicked on 540 file within audio folder and then clicked on set up icon

this opened up soundmax install shield and then got message

driver not found.. reboot your system and run this set up again

GaT7 19:55 18 Jan 11

Did you first unzip the Audio.zip file you downloaded, then tried installing the drivers? If not, unzip it & try again.

That should be fine really, although you'll get newer (2007) audio drivers from my link - when it decides to work!

There are two listed there (screenshot: click here) - download, unzip & install the smaller 1st one (as the other one is the same as the one you have). G

xp user 20:16 18 Jan 11

Yes I unzipped both files with same message?

GaT7 20:28 18 Jan 11

OK, try this...

Open Device Manager > right-click on the problem audio entry > Update Driver... > select 'Not this time' in the Hardware Update Wizard > Next > select 'Install from.....(Advanced) > Next > Browse to where to downloaded & unzipped the 2nd file's SMAXWDM\W2K_XP folder > OK.

If there's more than one problem audio entry in DM, repeat the above process.

If that doesn't work, do the same as above, but this time browse to the 1st file's unzipped SMAXWDM\W2K_XP folder & click on OK. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…