No Sound, what happened?

misters 21:30 18 Apr 04

Hi i have a friend that runs win xp home, and when they try and play any sounds on there pc they get an error mesage sayng "no drivers installed for this device". They are pretty sure that they didn't mess about with anything, so they where just wondering where there sound went not sure if its the speakers or the sound card?
Any suggestions?
Thanx in advance.

Totally-braindead 22:05 18 Apr 04

Go to START, CONTROL PANEL and SYSTEM, HARDWARE and lastly DEVICE MANAGER. See if there are any exclamation marks, if something has gone wrong with the sound drivers you could just reinstall them, alternatively do you know if they have tried SYSTEM RESTORE it can solve a lot of problems.

misters 18:41 19 Apr 04

Could you maybe tell me how to do system retore for xp and if it is the sound drivers how i would reinstall them, sorry if that sounds nieve but i dont really know anything about xp.

Totally-braindead 18:48 19 Apr 04

Easiest way to find system restore is go START, HELP&SUPPORT and search for SYSTEM RESTORE click on the wizard and follow instructions to restore the computer to a time it was working. If this doesn't work you need to find the disk containing the sound drivers. Goto CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER and find the audio controller, delete it and restart your computer, when windows starts again it'll find a "new device" it may install the drivers automatically, if it does fine, if not post back.

misters 20:10 19 Apr 04

sorry to be a pain but can you tell me what to do if it doesn't find drivers at start up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…