No sound from system speaker!

Jakey boy 11:17 20 Dec 03

Ok guys, here's the deal, I have just built my first PC, and everything has worked out perfectly, (eventually!) but I have no sound from the system speaker! I can't see the physical speaker, but there is a connection cable, which I have connected to the board. Still, no system beeps etc. Maybe there's no speaker in the case at all? But then why the connector, and what is it connected to if not the speaker?? Anyone help?

Jester2K II 11:22 20 Dec 03

Is it on the right motherboard headers (pins)?

Does the PC work otherwise?

Is the speaker enable in the BIOS (Some systems)?

Jakey boy 11:26 20 Dec 03

Who knows if the header pins are the right ones, I think so.
The PC works just fine, and the sound card works ok, except I have no speakers yet, (headphones work fine).
I'll check the BIOS but I don't think there's an option there.

Jakey boy 11:31 20 Dec 03

Nope, doesn't seem to be any system sound options in BIOS!

Spindrift 18:33 20 Dec 03

Some MSI MoBos need a BIOS upgrade to get the beep on bootup. I have run a K7N2-6570 for a while that needs this but it runs OK so I haven't bothered yet. Also for example the V770 Modding case that it is in didn't have a fixed speaker. In the case fittings box was a small 4 pin connector with a black cylindrical rubber attached - that is the system speaker.

What MoBo do you have and where does the cable go to that you connected up.

Jakey boy 18:41 20 Dec 03

Mobo is an Asus A7V8X-MX, and the cable emerges from inside the front panel of the generic case, and is fixed. But what to, I have no idea! Can't access the inside of the front panel really, without major disassembly - and I don't want to, to be honest.

Rennaissance 19:09 20 Dec 03

2 things, i would have though... Faulty speaker, Pins in wrong place.

Double check your mobo manual to see if the speaker is in the right pins, i know this can be tricky as it is so small, but you might miss something.

Jester2K II 19:15 20 Dec 03

Only you who can see the mobo and has the manual...

Tap the connectors on a battery (cell) of 1 1/2 volts. You should hear a click from the speaker.

Ha, I see it should be a 4wire cable to the speaker. click here

Jakey boy 19:37 20 Dec 03

The pins are the four, top row, right hand, as I look at them from the side panel. They are nearest to the front panel, and according to the manual, and the print on the mobo, i have the plug on the correct pins. There are two wires - one red, one black - any difference which way round?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…